Facebook

 Thing 8 – Facebook

 

So, after reading Thing 8 I actually spent quite a bit of time exploring my privacy settings on Facebook which is something I have never really bothered doing up until now. I always kept my profile public because I now live by my married name and I wanted to make sure that people from my past, who might not recognise it, would be able to have a look and ensure its me who has added them.

 

The process was great surprisingly, Facebook have taken the time to actually set this process up for you in a step by step way similar to setting up a new iPhone. You work through the various privacy settings one by one and answer questions that the software asks you to help you decide which changes are best for you. By the end of it I had changed my DOB privacy to friends as this is not really information that you want any old Tom Dick or Harry having access to, it can endanger your online security and provide clues to email addresses, security questions or online passwords. I also changed my address to friends only for the same reason.

 

I then turned-on alerts to notify me via Facebook and messenger if someone logs into my account from a place Facebook doesn’t recognise; if this happens, they will send me a notification telling me which device was used to log in as well as the location so I can review it and take action. I was not even aware this option existed!

 

After looking at Sarah Smiths profile on Facebook I picked out a few concerns. First of all, her DOB was public which I disagree with for the reasons stated above. She was also posting updates in which she spoke negatively of her work place, her colleagues and her service users’ families which is a breach of confidentiality and since she has her employer set to public this reflects poorly on the company and could hinder her job security. This goes against the social media guidelines and could put her job at risk.

 

These activities were great for improving my understanding of the privacy of Facebook and the importance of it. The information you share online is never really secure so you really should think before you post, and regularly review your privacy settings and change what you can to keep it all safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Learning in the workplace.

Apps

Thing 15 - Video chat and webinars